Take Action – Make your voice heard in Parliament in support of Bill C-331
On December 14, 2016, I again tabled my Private Members’ Bill C-331, An Act to amend the Federal Courts Act (international promotion and protection of human rights). This is an exciting time for C-331 and I am happy to report it came up for the first hour of debate at 2nd reading on April 29th, 2019.
Tune in live to watch the last hour of debate on C-331 in Parliament on Thursday June 13th, 2019 at 5:30PM EST: www.cpac.ca/en/
SUPPORTERS FROM CANADA AND THE GLOBAL SOUTH CALL ON THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO VOTE IN FAVOUR OF BILL C-331
List of organizations and persons who’ve endorsed C-331 is available here.
Open letter in English available here.
View open letter in French.
SUPPORT Bill C-331 to help create a new civil cause of action so federal courts can hear and decide claims for the most egregious human rights violations and environmental degradation that happen outside Canada.
TAKE ACTION – You can help.
There are so many ways to make your voice heard, on a personal level as well as within your community. We can’t do it without YOU!
CONTACT YOUR MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT (www.ourcommons.ca/Parliamentarians/en/members) Call, write and email your MP and Prime Minister Trudeau to ask them to vote in favour of Bill C-331.
SIGN THE PETITIONS – AND GET OTHERS TO SIGN ON TOO
Help us advance our campaign, download Peter Julian’s paper petition for Bill C-331. Get the support of your friends and neighbours and sign the petition. When you have as many signatures as you can get, mail the petitions (postage free) to Peter’s Parliamentary Office in Ottawa. Peter would then table your petitions in the House of Commons. Click the links below to download the petition
English: Bill C-331 Petition English Français: Bill C-331 Pétition Français These public petitions are one of the most direct means for constituents to communicate with Parliament. Once Peter tables your petitions, the rules of the House require that the government reply to a petition within 45 calendar of its presentation.
- Hold a public community meetings or events: Working with your local organizations, help organize public forums with panel discussions on issues related to corporate social responsibility and the need for legislative tools like Bill C-331, include a question-and-answer session.
- Invite your MP, members of civil society, organized labour, academic, business communities as well as speakers from our past conferences (link) to your area to speak on Bill C-331.
- Contact your other local politicians via letters, emails, faxes. Let your local MLA and MPP know that you expect positive ACTION on their part.
- We’d like videos of you talking about how important Bill C-331 to the protection of human rights, Indigenous peoples’ rights and the environment, by holding companies to account: What is Bill C-331 Why is Bill C-331 important?
Make a video with your friends and family and post it on twitter/Facebook/YouTube, embed the video on your website, “like” the video and share broadly!
- Write a letter of support: You and/or your organization are invited to write a letter in support of Bill C-331 and send it to Peter Julian’s office (Postage free – Suite 203, Wellington Building, House of Commons, Ottawa K1A 0A6)
- Encourage local organizations, associations, companies and community groups to support our efforts to Pass Bill C-331!
- Send us testimonials about how C-331 would impact the global south and our country positively.
- Send us your action ideas and share photos from your community.