Important message from Canada’s NDP. All NDP releases can be found online at ndp.ca/news
OTTAWA – As the spread of COVID-19 continues, people are concerned not only about their health, but also about their ability to keep paying the bills and putting food on the table.
Health experts and government officials are encouraging people to stay home and self-isolate and people want to make the right choices to keep their communities and families safe.
Many of these people are in the service industry or front lines workers. It is in all of our best interest to make sure that they have the support they need from the government to be able to self-isolate if needed.
For weeks, New Democrats have been calling on the government to make sure no one falls through the cracks. We’ve been calling for direct assistance and wage replacement for working class families, protections for workers and tenants, an extension on tax filing and CRA deadlines, and support and supplies for Indigenous communities.
When the Liberals announce their latest plans today, it must go beyond a corporate bailout; Canadian families need to be bailed out too.
Beyond being the right thing to do, investing in and helping Canadians will help stimulate the economy.
Here’s what New Democrats have been calling for, as outlined on Friday:
• Make sure no one falls through the cracks with direct assistance for working class families, similar to what Australia is doing;
• Protect workers, their families and their co-workers by expanding paid leave for federal workers and fiscal supports for all type of workers;
• Give Canadians breathing room with an extension of tax filing deadlines and payment deadlines to CRA;
• Ensure that the Canada Border Services Agency and all airports and ports of entry have the resources they need to ensure proper screening to keep all Canadians safe;
• Protect jobs and the economy with fiscal stabilization and stimulus measures – at least 1% of GDP with a focus on working people and small businesses;
• Keep people safely housed with an eviction, foreclosure and utility shutoff moratorium;
• Ensure the necessary supplies and supports are immediately delivered to indigenous communities;
• Articulate a clear plan for Canada’s veterans and armed forces who rely on the government to deliver the health services they need; and
• Suspend the collection of monthly payments for the Canada Student Loan Program without penalty or additional interest.
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
NDP Media Centre: 613-222-2351 or firstname.lastname@example.org
View release in your browser: www.ndp.ca/news/canadian-families-need-government-come-through-them« Back to News